Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Elizabeth gets serious...

Well, this has been a bad week for some of those nearest and dearest to me back in Kentucky. First, my grandpa Vic fell and broke both of his legs and has to have surgery on Thursday. He is 86, so the recovery is going to be pretty difficult to say the least. I think we all knew it was only a matter of time before he fell and was injured, since he is very frail and unsteady on his feet. I'm praying that he comes out of surgery ok, and for strength for my mom and her sisters. It is so awful to watch 2 of my grandparents fall apart physically and mentally. I'm blessed to have them still, but it is definitely hard to know that they are suffering. Thankfully my other 2 grandparents are still doing ok.

I also found out this morning that my very dear friend's husband was injured while on the job, and his recovery is going to be long, and I would assume, painful. It is definitely my worst nightmare to get news that Kenny has been hurt, so it makes me feel literally sick that this has happened, because I can imagine how she must be feeling.

And, though I really didn't need another reason to be upset, I was watching the Today Show, and they had "The Sound of Music" cast singing one of the songs from the movie. It was so sad, b/c everyone was singing except Julie Andrews, who can't sing anymore. She was kind of directing the rest of the group and mouthing the words. So heartbreaking! She had such a beautiful voice...it is a small kind of tragedy that she can no longer sing.

I find myself asking over and over again why there is so much suffering in the world, but I don't think I'll ever get an answer that I'm satisfied with. It just doesn't make sense to me, and it is a major issue that I have with God. So I think the best thing to do is to try to focus on the good things that still surround us, because there are always good things. For instance, the last couple nights that I have walked the dogs, the sunset has been so gorgeous, it all I can do not to start crying like the guy from "American Beauty" filming the plastic bag blowing around in the wind, because of the beauty that is all around us. And there is always love, which I am more thankful for than anything. E

No comments:

Post a Comment